Metro Police Will No Longer Respond to Minor Car Accidents

Metro Police Will No Longer Respond to Minor Car Accidents

  • Ed Bernstein

If you are involved in a car wreck in Las Vegas after March 3, 2014, and no one reports injuries in the accident, do not expect an appearance from a police officer. This is due to a new move by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, where they will no longer respond to minor fender-benders.

A spokesman for the Police Department said that the new policy will help police officers focus on more important issues, such as preventing deadly accidents and reducing fatalities.

Police officers will still continue to respond to accidents that have reported injuries, as well as to accidents in which one of the drivers fails to exchange insurance information, such as hit-and-run accidents.

For all non-injury accidents, they suggest moving the vehicle to a safe area on the side of the road, if possible, and then exchanging insurance information.  If the vehicle cannot easily be moved, then the police department will call a tow truck instead of visiting the scene themselves.

If you do happen to be involved in an accident, try to remain calm. Always ask for the other person’s information such as their name, address, make and model of their vehicle and insurance information. Write down or take a photograph of the other car’s plate number.  Always carry a fully charged cell phone with a built-in camera.  This way, if you are ever involved in an accident, you can take photographs of the scene and all of the cars involved, including your own.

While small accidents might not seem serious enough to cause injuries, the truth is that sometimes injuries are not felt until several days after the accident. It is recommended that you do not sign anything admitting fault for the accident or stating that you are not injured until you have had an opportunity to seek medical attention.

Remember that if you are involved in a car accident in the Las Vegas area and you are injured, call Edward Bernstein and Associates. Let a skilled car accident lawyer fight for you.