The Ultimate Guide to Finding the Best Car Accident Lawyer
If you are involved in a car accident in Las Vegas, you need to have the right attorney to help. It will make a huge difference in what can be expected when collecting compensation. Whether it is dealing with insurance companies when trying to cover damages to your vehicle or trying to collect compensation for personal injuries to yourself or your passengers, you need someone in your corner who will help protect your rights and get you what you are due.
With the right car accident lawyer, you can avoid being pushed to accept a settlement lower than what you deserve. The right lawyer will look at all of your medical expenses, lost wages, pain/suffering, and more before determining what will constitute a fair settlement for your case. Your attorney will manage all the stressful paperwork and research needed. You can focus on getting well, while they handle all the work required to collect fair compensation.
So how do you ensure you find the best car accident lawyer in Las Vegas
? Here we will take you through the process to help increase your odds of seeing the best possible outcome(s) after your collision.
Do You Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
It is always best to reach out to a car accident lawyer as soon as possible, so you can discuss your needs. This is very important because you might be expected to sign papers on a settlement from the insurance company sooner than you think. The sooner you speak to a lawyer, the sooner you will know if you need one. Insurance companies may not always have your best interests at heart as they stand to lose whenever they have to pay out claims.
Do Your Research
Today, researching any product or service is easy with the internet. That includes shopping around for lawyers in Las Vegas. There are several things you will want to consider when finding the right car accident lawyer to support your case. These include:
Whether you want a motorcycle accident attorney that Las Vegas riders depend on, a truck accident lawyer, or even something more specific like an RV accident attorney, looking for expertise is always important.
- Years of experience: This is the most obvious qualification to look for when hiring a Las Vegas attorney to represent you. You might come across some young go-getters, however, nothing speaks louder than years of expertise. A lawyer who has represented tens of thousands of clients will bring more insight and expertise to your case over a less experienced lawyer. At Edward M Bernstein & Associates, we have 40 years of experience handling thousands of auto wreck and injury cases throughout Nevada.
- The whole team: You don’t want to just consider the lawyer you will be working with, you also want to look at the whole team your lawyer will bring to the table. It takes a lot of work to see your case get the best possible compensation. You will want a car accident lawyer backed by years of experience in all aspects of casework, from research and investigation to working with insurance companies and other institutions such as hospitals, etc.. Our team is unmatched when it comes to paralegals, lawyers, and other team members who will be working on your case.
- Track record: A proven track record of success as a car accident lawyer is a must. Your lawyer should have a long line of successes behind them with proof of high dollar amounts for compensation won on their clients’ behalf. We have obtained one of the highest jury verdicts ($104 Million) in Nevada’s history through our commitment and expertise. This means we are unmatched when it comes to representing injured victims.
Reviews and Testimonials
As part of your research, be sure to check online reviews and testimonials. This is one of the easiest ways to find out how effective a car accident lawyer is at their job. Anyone with ratings below four stars should be avoided.
You can also ask around to get a referral from friends, family, and associates who might have experience working with a local car accident lawyer. Their experience with a lawyer can speak volumes as to how effective they are in representing a case for someone close to you.
Recognize Strengths in the Firm
Along with experience, the age and size of the firm are very important. You don’t want to work with a one-man show where their lack of experience is combined with a lack of support. You want to ensure your case receives the full attention it deserves.
The best lawyer in Las Vegas should also be highly respected in the community. For example, Ed Bernstein has been honored numerous times for his work in the community and has been the recipient of numerous awards for his professional services.
The Las Vegas accident lawyer you choose should be active in the local bar association and sit on relevant community and professional boards. This keeps them well-connected in the community and provides them with important networking contacts to better your case.
Experienced Trial Lawyers
In the best-case scenario, your case never reaches trial and you get the settlement you deserve. However, in the case where this is not possible, you need a lawyer who knows their way around a courtroom and can fight hard at trial to win you the best possible compensation. Look for information that shows they have tried and/or settled similar cases to yours in your city and county.
It is your car accident lawyer’s duty to sort out the necessary details that will win your case. In Nevada, there are specific laws and issues that must be considered for every accident. Understanding those laws is key to making a good case in court.
As mentioned, your best-case scenario is a settlement. The best car accident lawyers have strong negotiation skills that allow them to get you what you deserve without ever going to trial.
This saves you time and money while getting your compensation into your hands more quickly. It boils down to experience and good connections which the Ed Bernstein team brings to your case.
Before committing to a car accident lawyer, meet with them in person. A lawyer could check all the boxes in experience and expertise, but fall short when it comes to personal rapport. Although this might not seem important, you want to feel like you can trust your lawyer. Ask them the hard questions and ensure you feel comfortable they have your best interests at heart. You don’t want to be spending time with a lawyer who rubs you the wrong way by being too aggressive or speaking in terms of which you feel uncomfortable.
However, you also want to feel their entire team is responsive and won’t disappear once they take on your case. Being able to reach out, ask questions, and get updates is all part of the relationship you wish to build with your legal representatives.
By setting up an appointment with the firm, you will also get a glimpse of their availability. If it takes forever to get an appointment you might be signing on with a lawyer that is operating above their capacity. This can be an indication your case might not receive the full attention it requires. This, in turn, can interfere with the compensation you receive.
Ensure the firm and the lawyers have never been censured or disciplined by legal or ethics committees. This is kind of obvious, but some firms are quite good at advertising themselves as the best personal injury attorneys Las Vegas has ever seen, when in fact they have had many issues in the past.
Create a List of Questions to Ask Your Attorney
Start making a list of questions to ask during your free consultation. Some questions to ask can include:
You might come up with additional questions during your meeting, so always speak up. You want all of your questions answered before making your final decision.
- How many similar cases to mine have you handled? Give examples of how it was handled and the compensation awarded.
- How many cases have had to go to trial and what is the success rate?
- Who will be handling my case?
- What is the process for communication when my case is underway?
- How often do you provide updates about my case?
- How long do cases such as mine normally take to resolve?
- How many cases are you currently handling?
- How are settlements presented to me and how do we decide if we prefer to go to trial?
- How much does this cost and do I have to pay anything upfront?
Most personal injury and car accident lawyers will not expect any payment upfront. This is important especially if you are already contending with medical bills, lost wages, and more. Working with a firm that does not make further financial demands upfront will help put your mind at ease. Discuss in detail how their payment works and how much of your settlement they will be entitled to once they win your case.
This might seem unreasonable, but there can be situations in which a car accident lawyer might not take on your case. The most common reasons for this would include:
- Difficulty establishing liability
- Inadequate amount of damages
- Limited resources of the defendant that greatly reduces the odds of you winning your case
- The expense of the case and time required relates to how much compensation will be awarded
- Inexperience in your particular case details
- Conflict of interest
Discuss the Settlement
Your consultation is also a good time to get a feel for what your prospective car accident lawyers think you might get for your case. Their experience will allow them to assess your case pretty quickly. They can offer up an idea of what they think they can expect for a settlement based on past cases they have handled.
At this point, you should also be prepared to answer some questions the attorney might have for you surrounding your intentions such as:
These questions are important, as they want to take the approach that meets your goals. They also need to understand whether what you are expecting is realistic. For example, if you want to hold out for years until you get a certain number in your head but that number is unrealistic, they will want to explain why and what strategy will work better for your particular situation.
Following your consultation, you should have a good idea if you wish to hire that particular car accident lawyer or not. When you are ready to commit, let them know as soon as possible. You can discuss the details of what will be needed and what will be required for your fee agreement. You can agree on the best way to stay in touch, who your point of contact will be and other details that will affect your ongoing case.
The auto accident lawyers of Edward M Bernstein & Associates have handled thousands of vehicle accidents and personal injury cases throughout the state. We are unmatched when it comes to our lawyers and paralegal personnel, offering decades of experience in successfully helping injured clients like you.
We have the right lawyer in Las Vegas, Nevada for auto accident victims. Get in touch for a free consultation at any time.
- Would you consider getting a lower settlement amount with as few costs and as little time wasted as possible?
- Are you more focused on a higher amount than what the insurance company has offered as soon as possible?
- How much time are you willing to invest to get the most money possible?