Truck Accident Lawyers and Attorneys in North Las Vegas, Nevada
Victims of truck accidents in North Las Vegas, Nevada, face a range of challenges. Injuries can result in lost time at work, long-term lifestyle changes, or may burden families with high medical expenses. Truck drivers and truck companies are required to abide by both state and federal laws regarding how they operate their vehicles, as well as when and where they can operate their vehicles.
When truck drivers break the law, innocent individuals can be hurt. Companies and drivers must be held accountable when they fail to drive responsibly or respect the law. Ed Bernstein & Associates are truck accident attorneys in North Las Vegas, Nevada, who offer compassionate and caring counsel to individuals who have been hurt in truck accidents.
Why Choose Ed Bernstein & Associates
As a leading North Las Vegas truck accident law firm, Ed Bernstein & Associates has proven time and time again our dedication to accident victims and their recovery. Our team's vast experience and knowledge of trucking laws and regulations, combined with our aggressive approach to pursuing justice, ensure that you receive the best representation possible. In addition, our firm boasts a strong track record for service and results.
- Over 40 years of experience
- Over $1 billion recovered for our clients
- Comprehensive understanding of federal and state trucking regulations
- Dedicated to the North Las Vegas community
- No fees unless we win your case
We invite you to speak to a truck accident lawyer from our team to learn about how we could help you recover substantial compensation after a commercial truck accident in North Las Vegas. The time to reach out for help is now.
Commercial Truck Accidents in North Las Vegas
Truck accidents in North Las Vegas and throughout Nevada have a significant impact on the safety of all road users. Along with the serious physical injuries and loss of life that can result from semi-truck accidents, these incidents can result in lifelong expenses and financial upheaval for victims and their families. Here are some key truck accident statistics in North Las Vegas and Nevada:
- In 2020, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) reported that Nevada had a total of 32 large trucks involved in fatal crashes, resulting in a total of 38 fatalities.
- Nationally, large trucks and buses were involved in 5,237 fatal crashes in 2019. During the same year, the number of large commercial trucks involved in injury accidents increased by 6%.
- A study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) found that in two-vehicle crashes involving a truck driver and a passenger vehicle, 97% of truck accident fatalities in 2020 were occupants of passenger vehicles.
At Ed Bernstein & Associates, our North Las Vegas truck accident lawyers are committed to helping truck accident victims seek justice and holding negligent drivers and trucking companies accountable for the harm they've caused.
Causes of Truck Accidents in North Las Vegas, Nevada
In the immediate aftermath of a truck accident, the scene of a crash can get confusing. Individuals may try to make sense of what happened and may wrongfully blame themselves for the accident. While all drivers have a responsibility to others' safety when they drive, determining fault after an accident can be a complex process. With truck accidents, the process can be especially complicated because of the additional rules truck drivers and their companies are required to follow.
If you've been in a truck accident, it is important to not accept blame. Instead, call the police, explain the facts, contact your insurance company, and contact a North Las Vegas truck accident attorney right away.
The FMCSA has identified driver-related factors, such as speeding, distraction, and impairment, as significant contributors to fatal truck crashes. You may also want to familiarize yourself with some of these common causes of truck accidents:
- Lane drifting: According to a recent study performed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, and the National Highway Safety Administration, 32 percent of large trucks involved in accidents drifted out of their lanes. This is a serious issue because drivers expect other vehicles on the road to maintain their lanes, especially when passing other vehicles. When trucks drift out of their lanes, the consequences can be serious. Other cars can get struck. Or, if a driver tries to overcorrect too quickly, the vehicle can roll, or the driver can lose control, resulting in other accidents.
- Speeding: In 29 percent of the cases studied in the Large Truck Causation Study, trucks were driving too fast for the conditions of the road. One can be driving under the speed limit and still be driving too fast for the conditions. For instance, if there is snow on the ground, if it is raining, or if there is frost, drivers may need to adjust for conditions.
- Non-performance: Many instances of truck driver non-performance involve driver fatigue, including falling asleep behind the wheel. Accidents involving an inattentive or inactive driver can have devastating results.
- Rear-end Collisions: 22 percent of the critical events noted in the study involved truck drivers rear-ending other vehicles.
Driver Error Is the Cause of the Majority of Truck Accidents
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, driver behavior was cited as a critical error for 87% of all truck accidents. In addition to the causes listed above, commercial truck drivers may be found negligent for the following reasons:
- Distracted driving, including eating and drinking, talking on a cell phone, or other distracting behaviors.
- Poor decision-making, including following other vehicles too closely or misjudging their speed.
- Panic, which can result in the driver overcompensating for an error.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
According to the results of this study, 38 percent of truck accidents are the result of poor decision-making on the part of a driver, while 28 percent of accidents occur due to distracted driving. Another 12 percent of accidents are the result of the driver falling asleep behind the wheel or being in some way inebriated.
Proving Liability for a Truck Accident in North Las Vegas
Establishing liability is a crucial aspect of any truck accident case. To receive compensation for your damages, you must prove that the at-fault party's negligence directly caused your injuries. Our North Las Vegas truck accident lawyers at Ed Bernstein & Associates are experienced in investigating trucking accidents and proving liability to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Establish negligence: To prove negligence, we must demonstrate that the at-fault party owed you a duty of care, breached that duty, and caused your injuries as a direct result. For example, truck drivers have a duty to operate their vehicles safely and follow all applicable federal and state regulations. If a driver fails to adhere to these rules and causes an accident, they may be held liable for negligence.
- Gather evidence: To support your claim, we will gather all necessary evidence, such as police reports, witness statements, accident scene photographs, and trucking company records. This evidence will help us demonstrate the at-fault party's negligence and the extent of your damages.
- Consult experts: In some cases, we may consult industry experts, such as accident reconstruction specialists, trucking safety experts, or medical professionals, to provide additional insight and support for your claim. These experts can help us establish liability and determine the full extent of your injuries and losses.
- Use federal and state regulations: Trucking companies and drivers must adhere to a strict set of regulations, including hours of service rules, vehicle maintenance requirements, and cargo loading guidelines. We will use these regulations to demonstrate how the at-fault party's failure to comply directly contributed to your accident and injuries.
At Ed Bernstein & Associates, our North Las Vegas truck accident lawyers are dedicated to proving liability in your case and securing the compensation you deserve. We understand the complexities of semi-truck, big rig, and tractor-trailer accidents and the catastrophic injuries they can cause. We are prepared to use our knowledge to your benefit and help you get what you need to care for yourself after a negligent driver causes you harm.
Who Has Liability in a Truck Accident Case?
Truck drivers are required to abide by laws that limit the hours they can be on the road, that restrict their cell phone use, and that require their companies to provide them with proper training. When these laws aren't followed, people can get hurt. Causes that could indicate shared liability in a North Las Vegas truck accident include:
- Inadequate training or supervision
- Poor vehicle maintenance
- Overloaded or improperly loaded cargo
- Dangerous road conditions
At times, a truck accident claim may include more than one liable party. These may include:
- The trucking company
- The government agency responsible for road maintenance
- A mechanic responsible for performing maintenance on the vehicle
- The employee or individual who improperly loaded the truck's cargo
Any one of these problems can result in a serious accident that can lead to injuries or loss of life. Your North Las Vegas truck accident lawyer will work to determine who should be held responsible for your injuries and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Common Injuries in a North Las Vegas, NV, Truck Accident
Truck accidents can result in severe and life-altering injuries due to the sheer size and weight of these large vehicles. When a truck collides with a smaller passenger vehicle, the occupants of the smaller vehicle often bear the brunt of the impact, leading to serious and sometimes catastrophic injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
- Whiplash and soft tissue injuries
- Burns and road rash
- Psychological trauma and PTSD
After an accident, it's crucial that you seek medical treatment right away. Although you may not believe that you have suffered serious injuries, it is possible to sustain internal damage without realizing the effects until too late. Additionally, pursuing medical attention expediently will ensure that these costs can be calculated into your truck accident claim.
How Much Is My Truck Accident Claim Worth?
If you've been hurt in a truck accident, you need a truck accident attorney working for you to help protect your rights and to assist you in receiving the recovery you may deserve.
- Medical bills: You can seek compensation for hospital stays, physical therapy, medications, assistive devices, and any future medical expenses related to the accident.
- Lost wages: Your lawyer will help you calculate the wages you have lost due to your inability to work while recovering from your injuries. In addition, you may be entitled to additional compensation due to loss of earning capacity if you're unable to return to your previous job or work at the same level.
- Property damage: Reimbursement for the cost of repairing or replacing your vehicle and any personal property damaged in the accident.
- Rehabilitation and ongoing care: Compensation for any necessary long-term care, such as rehabilitation services or in-home care, that you may require due to your injuries.
- Wrongful death: In the event of a fatal trucking accident, surviving family members and spouses may be able to pursue compensation through a wrongful death action. An experienced attorney can help you and your loved ones obtain the resources you need to carry on during this difficult time and will pursue additional damages to cover the costs associated with this event.
In addition to these economic losses, our personal injury lawyers will work to ensure that your pain, suffering, and other non-economic damages are included in your settlement value or award.
In some cases, punitive damages may also be awarded. Punitive damages are not intended to compensate the victim, but rather to punish the at-fault party for particularly egregious conduct and deter similar behavior in the future.
Ed Bernstein & Associates are truck accident attorneys who can help you and your loved ones hold truck companies and their drivers accountable when they do not respect the law.
How Ed Bernstein & Associates Will Fight for Your Rights
Dealing with insurance companies after a truck accident can be challenging and frustrating. Insurance companies often aim to minimize their payouts, even if it means undervaluing your claim or denying it altogether. At Ed Bernstein & Associates, our North Las Vegas truck accident lawyers are experienced in negotiating with trucking and insurance companies and will fight to protect your rights and secure the compensation you deserve.
Our legal team is prepared to do what is necessary to resolve your claim in a satisfactory manner. While many truck accident claims are resolved out of court, we recognize that reaching a favorable settlement through the insurance company is not always possible. In that case, we are prepared to offer you high-quality legal representation and litigation for you in a truck accident lawsuit.
How Long Will It Take to Resolve My Truck Accident Claim?
Truck accident cases are all unique and require slightly different methods and timeframes in order to achieve satisfactory results. However, the sooner that you speak with a qualified attorney about your personal injury claim, the better. By entrusting your case to an experienced truck accident lawyer, your legal team can get to work uncovering evidence and building a strong claim in your favor. Following your initial free consultation, your attorney will begin by:
- Gathering evidence and information about how the accident occurred
- Calculating your damages and expenses
- Determining liability
- Negotiating toward a fair settlement
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit, if necessary
- Representing you at trial
- Communicating with you about the process
- Providing support and resources to help you during your physical recovery
At Ed Bernstein & Associates, our North Las Vegas truck accident lawyers are committed to fighting for your rights. We will stand by your side every step of the way, ensuring you receive the justice and compensation you deserve.
Protect Your Rights and Speak to a North Las Vegas Truck Accident Attorney Today
The truck industry makes billions of dollars every year. Truckers and companies may have teams of lawyers protecting their interests. If you've been hurt in a truck accident, it is important to seek assistance. A truck accident attorney may be able to assist you in getting the recovery you may deserve.
Ed Bernstein & Associates have helped many injured clients receive a recovery for their lost wages, medical expenses, and pain and suffering associated with a truck accident. Call us at 702-979-4791 or contact us today to learn more.