When Do You Need Bicycle Accident Lawyers?Biking is not only a popular recreational activity, but also a cheap and efficient way to get around cities. The rise in popularity of bicycling as a means of commuting, combined with often unsafe infrastructure, has increased bicycle accidents with motor vehicles. And the effects of these accidents can be devastating. Bicycles offer little to no protection in a collision. In the case of an accident with a vehicle, the rider’s body bears the brunt of the impact, leading to injuries that can range anywhere from road burn to death. According to the National Traffic Safety Administration report, in 2018 alone, it’s estimated that 47,000 cyclists were injured in crashes with motor vehicles, with 857 fatalities; of those, 59 occurred in Las Vegas. Edward M Bernstein & Associates are experienced bicycle accident attorneys that practice in the Las Vegas area. Bicycle riders are some of the more vulnerable road users. Thousands of riders share the road with vehicles every day, but many drivers believe bicycles don’t belong on the road nor do they know the traffic rules involving cyclists. If you or a loved one is a victim of a bicycle crash, contact us and we will review the details of your case. We will ensure your rights are protected so that you receive compensation from those responsible and you can focus on your recovery.
What are the main causes of a bicycle accident?The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released a report that details the factors of bicycle accidents in the United States. They are as follows:
- The majority of accidents occur in urban areas (79%) as opposed to rural areas (21%)
- The majority of accidents happen in the dark (50%) as opposed to daylight (46%)
- 29% of accidents occurred in intersections, 60% occurred in other locations, and 11% occurred in places such as roadsides, parking zones, sidewalks, etc.
- Bone fractures
- Head trauma
- Spinal cord injury
- Neurological damage
- Wear properly fitted bicycle helmets every time you ride. A helmet is the most effective way to protect your head (hence your life) in case of a bicycle accident.
- Follow all traffic rules, do not ride against traffic flow, signal when turning, etc. Bicyclists are considered vehicle operators. As such, they have to follow the same rules of traffic as any other vehicle operator.
- Allow a minimum of 3 feet between yourself and a car. Be hypervigilant and alert of the vehicles around you, be a defensive rider.
- Increase your visibility. During daylight hours, wear fluorescent or brightly colored clothing; at night, use a front light and a red reflector or flashing rear light, and use retro-reflective tape or markings on equipment or clothing.
How severe does a bicycle accident have to be to hire an attorney?While you should always feel free to contact a bicycle accident attorney after an accident, there are times when getting a bicycle accident attorney should be one of your top priorities.
- You have been injured and have medical bills relating to those injuries. Wounds take time to heal, and the more severe the damage is, the more time it will take to heal. And with medical bills piling up, it could cause you financial strain. Contact a bicycle accident attorney to help you seek compensation.
- If your injuries have caused you severe pain and suffering, or if you have suffered a permanent disability. Suppose your injuries have caused you suffering to the point where it affects your daily life (whether emotional, mental, or physical); contact the experienced attorneys at Edward M. Bernstein & Associates to make sure you receive proper medical treatment so you can fully recover.
- When the driver is denying fault and is instead insisting that you were the one at fault. Contact a bicycle accident attorney immediately to investigate the accident and gather all necessary evidence to prove liability.
- When you need to file a third-party insurance claim. Insurance claims can be complex, and insurance companies can and will avoid liability whenever possible. Contact our office to help navigate through the red tape and get you a fair settlement.
- When you have received a settlement offer from an insurance company. Never accept an offer without having it reviewed by an attorney because the settlement offer is frequently too low, any may not include all claims, including property damage to the bicycle, lost wages, medical bills and pain and suffering. Know your worth and contact the experienced bicycle accident attorneys at Edward M. Bernstein & Associates today.
When can another person be found at fault for my injuries?The person at fault is the person(s) who displayed negligence and demonstrated a failure to observe traffic rules. Bicyclists are required to follow traffic laws as much as car drivers are. The following are some ways (but not all) that bicyclists are negligent while riding:
- Failing to follow road signs (Stop, Yield, etc.)
- Riding against the flow, the traffic
- Turning without signaling