Motorcycle Accident Lawyers and Attorneys in Henderson, Nevada
According to the Insurance Information Institute, in 2014, 92,000 people were injured while riding motorcycles. Motorcyclists are 27 times more at risk of dying in a crash for each mile they travel and they are 5 times as likely to be injured. Motorcyclists may be perceived as risk-takers, but the reality is that many motorcyclists undergo training and regularly take courses to keep themselves safe. They may check their vehicles more frequently than the average driver. Furthermore, they may be less likely to take risks, because they know the consequences of taking risks on the road are far greater. Unfortunately, motorcyclists have little control over the choices other drivers make behind the wheel. When drivers tailgate, text and drive, speed, or fail to watch out for motorcyclists, the consequences can be tragic. Under Nevada law, individuals who have been injured on the road may be entitled to receive compensation to cover their medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Ed Bernstein & Associates are motorcycle accident lawyers in Henderson, Nevada, who understand the unique challenges motorcyclists face when they are injured on the road. If you’ve been hurt, our firm may be able to assist you.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Henderson, Nevada
Motorcycle accidents occur for a number of reasons in Henderson, Nevada. Unlike other accidents where drivers have the protective chassis of their car, motorcyclists are more likely to experience serious injuries in a crash. Many motorcyclists are aware of the risks of riding and take actions to mitigate these risks. However, drivers may not always be aware about how to share the road. Here are some common errors drivers make leading to motorcycle accidents in Henderson, Nevada:
- Left Turns. One of the most deadly situations a motorcyclist can find him or herself in is when a driver is making a left turn. The driver may not be looking out for a motorcyclist, resulting in a collision. The motorcyclist may be trying to legally pass through an intersection or trying to pass the car.
- Texting and Driving. Texting and driving is deadly enough when cars are involved. However, drivers are not always looking out for motorcycles, which can be harder to see. Texting and driving can take a person’s attention away from the road for long periods of time. Furthermore, texting and driving has been found to affect areas of the brain that make drivers more aware of risks and hazards. Drivers already have difficulty seeing motorcyclists on the road. Texting and driving only makes the task more difficult.
- Tailgating is dangerous in any condition. However, in a rear-end collision with a passenger vehicle, the drivers have the protection of their car. In a rear-end collision with a motorcycle, the biker could get run over, thrown off the bike, or crushed.
- We all know that speed kills in all circumstances, but for motorcyclists, speeding is particularly deadly. Motorcyclists are vulnerable road users, and speeding makes it more likely that another driver could lose control of his or her car.
- Road Hazards. Garbage or gravel on the roadway may not be a problem to a car or truck, but for motorcyclists, road debris poses a serious risk. Garbage and road debris increases the risk that a motorcyclist will skid, lose control of his or her vehicle, or crash into another car or object.
If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident, it is important to seek proper medical attention as soon as possible. If you or a loved one has been in a motorcycle accident, it is important to protect your rights. Seek the assistance of a motorcycle accident attorney in Henderson, Nevada. Ed Bernstein & Associates are personal injury lawyers who can fight for your rights.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accident injuries can be more serious than regular car accident injuries. Motorcyclists may require longer recovery periods and may experience more life-altering injuries. Here are some common motorcycle accident injuries:
- Traumatic brain injury. Traumatic brain injury can impact a person for the rest of his or her life. Victims may experience memory problems, mood changes, or suffer motor and sensory problems after an accident. Even a mild traumatic brain injury can lead to other problems later. Individuals may be more at risk of developing CTE, a neurodegenerative condition that can lead to impulse control issues, depression, and cognitive decline. Even mild traumatic brain injury can impact your sleep, mood, and memory.
- Road rash. Because riders don’t have the protection of a car, it is more likely that they’ll slide along the road when they get into an accident. This can lead to serious scrapes and burns resulting from sliding along the pavement. Road rash can lead to nerve damage and other serious conditions. It is important to get treatment as soon as possible.
- Spinal cord injury. Spinal cord injury can result in permanent loss of motion below the affected area. Individuals may face life-long challenges and may require lifelong care. If you or a loved one suffered a spinal cord injury in a motorcycle accident, it is important to seek the counsel of a personal injury lawyer.
Ed Bernstein & Associates are personal injury attorneys who assist motorcycle accident victims in Nevada. We may be able to help you receive a recovery to pay for medical care, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Contact us today to learn more.
Justice for Motorcycle Accident Victims
Motorcycle accidents can leave victims with serious and life-altering injuries. Families may struggle to pay medical expenses, to cover lost wages, and suffer under the burden of their loved one’s pain and suffering. If you’ve been in a motorcycle accident, you do not have to suffer alone. Ed Bernstein & Associates are motorcycle accident lawyers in Nevada who work closely on each case to help families and survivors get the recovery they may deserve.